[Question #672563]: Modeling a Direct Shear Test with Simple Shear

I need some expert opinions about an approach I am taking to replicate the experimental results that I have gotten from a rotational shear test.

My goal is the following: closely replicate experimental shear test results with the use of periodic simple shear simulations in YADE.

After reading about simple vs direct/rotational shear (I am a bit new to this field), I am worried that periodic simple shear doesn't accurately represent the scenario in experimental shear tests due to the following difference:
Direct/Rotational Shear: shears powder at a particular plane
Periodic Simple Shear: deforms periodic cell to simulate shearing process

Therefore, my question pertains to the validity of using periodic simple shear to model experimental shear test results. Am I justified in simplifying empirical shear tests to a simple shear situation? If so, how is this normally justified? If not, then I assume that the only way to correctly model the situation would be to generate a compressed particle assembly in two boxes, where one box is stationary relative to the other that provides the shearing motion. Is this correct? However, I'd like to avoid this if at all possible due to the effects that wall boundaries can have on simulation results.

Thanks in advance,
Austin