Re: [Question #685222]: updating properties for an existing contact

Bruno Chareyre posted a new comment:
Hi,
My impression is that you are approaching the problem the wrong way. There is actually nothing special in the situation you describe, w.r.t. what is already implemented.

First of all, your equation (2) is _exactly_ what is done for the shear
force in most laws. I don't know if we should call it "saving the
previous state" though. Simply the force is the force, we increment it.
If the question is: "are every interactions forgotten at each timestep?"
the answer is no, they are not (yade is not a GPU advertising code! ;)
).

About non-linear elastic behaviour (a.k.a. "changing stiffness"), laws using MindlinPhys do just this (in the normal direction especially).
Elastic-plastic response in the normal direction is also implemented in (at least)  Law2_ScGeom6D_CohFrictPhys_CohesionMoment, using the plastic displacement as the history variable.

All in all, I would answer "yes there is a builtin method", since basically you describe a rather ordinary situation. You need to be more specific on your governing equation to see if a particular problem exists.
Cheers
Bruno