Re: [Question #687977]: makeCloud question

Jérôme Duriez proposed the following answer:
Hi,

1. rMean = -1 in your [2] is just a default value (search on the internet some reference stuff about Python functions).
Obviously radii will never be negative (even though I doubt there always are 0.2 mm), and this negative default value is to trigger some other determination of mean radius in the cloud when mean radius is not user-imposed (and then still equal to the default value)

2. I'm not sure I understand what you tried with porosity = 0.4 or the error you obtained.
Anyway, the best here again is to search on the internet some reference stuff about Python functions to increase your confidence using Python / Yade. For instance, obeying the order of attributes is not necessary if you adopt the "function(attribute = value)" syntax, as opposed to just "function(value)"

3. In your [1] targetPorosity is defined at [*] and used at [**] (a
complete sample preparation requires to uncomment some stuff in your
[1]). I thus disagree with your comment that it is never used.

4. As said many many times on this mailing list, and in the doc at your [2] makeCloud alone can not reach "solid-like" porosities of 0.4. It's only intended to make an initial "gas" (something like the clouds in the sky !) that should afterwards be compressed to make a solid particle.
See" Create random very loose packing [..] a gas-like state (see Cloud denomination) with no contacts between particles. Usually used as a first step for packing generation, before subsequent mechanical loading that will confer a solid-like nature to the packing." in your [2].