[Question #688400]: Energy of the body is very high, defying gravity and normal stress - cpm material

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate a shear test where I have two CPM materials with different properties - top_mat(lower strength) and bot_mat(higher strength). top_mat rests on bot_mat at an angle <45. Try to imagine a direct shear test where there is an asperity at the interface.  There is only friction between the two materials-no cohesion.

There is a plate at the top which applies a load on top_mat in Constant Normal stiffness condition(CNS). top_mat has its boundaries free only in the Y direction where it is allowed to move vertically up or down. bot_mat can only move in the X direction(horizontal).

When bot_mat(bottom box) is moved using a plate in the horizontal direction(X), the top_mat should ''SLIDE'' along the asperity in the Y direction and then be subjected to damage when the shear strength threshold is reached for top_mat.

But even though I have a plate with a CNS load applied on top, during the shearing process, top_mat starts to ''FLY'' up instead of sliding and loses contact with bot_mat by pushing the CNS plate up, thereby defying both the CNS and the gravitational forces in the system.  I am not sure why this is happening.

P.S: I had modified the source code to have zero cohesion ONLY AT THE INTERFACE:  iscohesive=0, undamagedcohesion=0

Sorry that I am unable to think of a way to provide an MWE because I cut out that interface using a gts surface and this platform doesn't support the inclusion of external links. If it is alright, I can provide the code and the external links here. Kindly help me out as I have been stuck in this issue for many days. Help as soon as possible will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

-Arun