Re: [Question #688544]: Scientific background of YADE, contact law and softening

Luc Sibille proposed the following answer:
Hello,

I think question 2 can be seen as a real scientific question, in the
sense that for a long time it has be assumed by many researchers that
the softening after the peak was the consequence of the strain
localization. That is why many phenomenological constitutive relations
do not describe the softening after the peak.
However, it seems that with DEM softening after the peak may be obtained
without localization (for instance with a low number of discrete
elements limiting the occurrence of strain localization). If the latter
is true it would mean that softening could be seen as a constitutive
response of a granular material.
Nevertheless, I am sure there is a clear study around this question in
the literature and probably it is still an open question... ?

Luc

--
Luc Sibille
Université Grenoble Alpes / IUT1 de Grenoble

Tel lab.: +33 (0)4 76 82 63 48
Tel IUT: +33 (0)4 76 82 53 36