Re: [Question #690122]: Modelling a shearing rigid box for dissipation control

Jérôme Duriez proposed the following answer:
1) The name of O.energy.total() is pretty well chosen since it sums
everything what's inside O.energy. What's exactly inside O.energy
depends on your simulation, but can be easily checked eg with
O.energy.items()

2) nonviscDamp is the work of (non-physical) Cundall's damping forces,
added by NewtonIntegrator.damping. As these forces are non-physical, it
does not have much of a meaning, except telling how much one is cheating
for his/her DEM simulations.

3) On the other side, I guess Law2_ScGeom_MindlinPhys_Mindlin.frictionDissipation is the plastic work of tangential forces at contact (at least, that's what is Law2_ScGeom_FrictPhys_CundallStrack.plasticDissipation. Doc of the other one might help).
Friction-limited tangential forces do exist in nature, and this one has a sound meaning.

PS: a more meaningful title to the thread might help (updating question
titles is welcome, updating initial questions once someone answered
never is, for your information), now we fortunately got a little more
specific ;-)