Re: [Question #690973]: running on a server is slower than on a PC

yang yi posted a new comment:

 Janek Kozicki (cosurgi) , Jan Stránský (honzik) , Bruno Chareyre (bruno-chareyre)

 Thank you very much for answer my question. According to your
suggestion, I checked the server like this

(1) Run  yade by the command:
      ~/myYade/install/bin/yade -j90 20200522.py
(2)  Start the script by the 'start' button on the Controller(), without "3D" show

(3) I did 10 iteration test and the time result as follows

     PC:         -j8     39.45s \ 47.79s
     Server:    -j32   26.1s
                   -j48   24.51s
                   -j50   25.32s
                   -j52   24.55s
                   -j60   26.53s
                   -j88   23.29s \  23.12s
	   -j90   23.27s \ 23.72s
                   -j92   23.05s \ 23.76s \ 24.24s \ 24.09s
                   -j94   23.48s
                   -j96   23.91s
     Because I get the time by hand, so there is errors.  The results seems that the server is faster than PC without 3D show  and the -j92 or -j90 maybe the optimal jobs.

(4)  I used the command :       yade --stdperformance -j8   to test the performance
     But I just to guess the result, I wirte as below
     -j8      1465.98 iter/s
     -j48     1386.40  iter/s
     -j88    1427   iter/s
     -j90    1279  iter/s   1467 iter/s
     -j92    1385 iter/s
     -j96    1313  iter/s

     I find the number is unstable. It seems that -j90 is the best.

(5)  For the above test,  I guess that:
      The before test,  I take 3D show, the server is slower than PC very slowly, that is becuase the GUI is  depend on just one core of the CPU.  For one core of I7-9700k 3.6GH  is better than 6146 , 3.2GH.  IF my guess is right or not?

(6) I have two questions:
     1)  It looks that the falling speed of particles and the roation speed of the plank in the 3D show are different,  if the I modify the number of the particles.  So in the Server,  I hope to check  if the rotation speed matches the falling speed of particles or not.  The direct way is the 3D show. However, if 3D show is used, the speed is very very slow.   my question is :
    if I close the 3D show, the speed of the plank and particles are the same with 3D show open or not?

    2)  If the speed of plank and particles are not depend on the 3D
show.  I  will storage the bodies' location of the simulation process,
and replay the locations after the simulation is over.  my question :
is there a better way to do that?

Thank you very much