Re: [Question #691680]: sphere-wall contact direction

nobody is still having a problem:
Hi,

Recently, I'm doing the CPT[1] simulation.  I use geom.facetCylinder and geom.facetCone to simulate the shaft and cone.
Theoretically, the cone and shaft should go vertically. I record the contact normal force and contact shear force on the shaft. As we all know, the contact normal force has three components (x, y,z directions). From the results, I found that the contact normal force has vertical components, i.e. the contact normal force has a component has is parallel with the shaft.

although the contact normal between the sphere and the facet is not perpendicular to the facet,( as you mentioned, there might be sphere-edge contact. ) why there are contact normal forces in the vertical direction??

best,
Yong