Re: [Question #691680]: sphere-wall contact direction

nobody gave more information on the question:
Hi Jan,

Sorry, the second "has" should be that it is parallel with the shaft.

I attached my sample and the code under this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cxy47qukgzeffcx/AABcChIOFrRuUaeLp8T3KKo5a?dl=0

first trial:

In the code, I  identified the spheres that contact the shaft and recorded the contact normal forces of these spheres. I didn't fix the x and y translational movement, but the shaft and cone don't have the translational velocity in x and y-direction.
I found that the contact normal force has a vertical component.

In my code, fnss3 is the vertical component of contact normal force.
Some of them are not zero, which means the contact normal orientation is
not in the horizontal plane. If we assume the shaft is in the vertical
plane, even if the contact normal of the spheres are not perpendicular
to the facets (shaft), they still should be in the horizontal plane.

Q1: why these contact normal are not in the horizontal plane?
second trial:

for the first trial, I think the reason is maybe that I didn't fix the translational movement in x and y direction, so the shaft and cone didn't go vertically. In second trial, I use the following code to fix the movement in x and y direction.
#for  cylinderIDS:
O.bodies[-2].state.blockedDOFs='xy'
#for  coneIDS:
O.bodies[-1].state.blockedDOFs='xy'
This time, the contact normal force still has a vertical component. Besides, the displacement (delta_position) becomes nan (not a number) all the time.

best,
Yong