Re: [Question #692956]: Implementing orbital motion

Janek Kozicki posted a new comment:
Yeah, CentralGravityEngine is a really bad name. I don't think it is
used very often in yade so we could rename it to something like
CentralAccelerationEngine. Then you could use that one as the basis for
Newton's gravity and use distance as it should be used :) That would be
a simple start for you. And easy to check - since you work with orbital
mechanics, you should have simple examples at hand with starting
acceleration and position to recreate the Earth-Moon system (or maybe
even the solar system) to check this code. Basically your Newton's
gravity Engine will be extremely similar to CentralGravityEngine (to be
renamed into CentralAccelerationEngine) but you just need to add an
extra line which uses distance instead of doing normalize on that vector
:)

After you make it work, you should have enough understanding to
implement the Clohessy–Wiltshire equations.

However you will need to learn a little about how to code C++. You can
start by reading [1][2]  and you are welcome to submit merge requests on
gitlab, with your NewtonsGravityEngine and the Earth-Moon example
[3][4].

This is a bit more work than you expected at first - I suppose that you
wanted to write code in python only.

[1] https://yade-dem.org/doc/user.html
[2] https://yade-dem.org/doc/prog.html
[3] https://yade-dem.org/doc/installation.html#source-code