Re: [Question #696786]: Strange behavior: sand pile settles in a squared shape ?

Jan Stránský posted a new comment:
> I don't know and use the function randomDensePack, but apparently it
makes a periodic packing (it is the information displayed in the
console).

If you use spheresInCell parameter, it:
- first "quickly" create a periodic cube ("quickly" w.r.t full domain, as the periodic packing is possibly much much smaller than the resulting domain)
- copy "roughly" the cube wherever needed to fully cover the domain (roughly = also outside bondaries of the domain)
- crop "finely" the copied cubes to form the required domain

> Then, is the packing really periodic?

Not necessarily (only by chance). The packing contains periodically
repeated "cubes", but itself is periodic if and only if is is cropped in
a very special way.

> Is it in relation with the square shape?

I would say no, or at least negligibly.

Cheers