[Question #698417]: negative volume for an ordinary pore

I am doing an erosion simulation similar to Antoine Wautier[1]. The particle gradation curve is wide. At the beginning of the simulation, a large number of fine particles are deleted. At some time steps, the prompt 'negative volume for an ordinary pore' will appear.
In order to avoid the prompt, I tried to reduce the size of the time step and increase the hydraulic gradient step by step. The effect of reducing the time step is not as obvious as increasing the hydraulic gradient in stages, and this prompt will still appear occasionally. I want to know whether this prompt has a big impact on the simulation results and how to avoid the prompt.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/nag.2866