Re: [Question #699779]: Using Hertz - Mindlin Contact Law

Karol Brzezinski proposed the following answer:
Hi Hossein,

Please provide a minimum working example (MWE [1]), reproducing your
problem. Right now, it looks like there is a lot of code that is not
crucial for the question. Also, I have a general remark that running
simulation in the 'while' loop just to control the end condition is not
the best practice. This way, the console and Controller are blocked and
you can't inspect your simulation for a deeper understanding of the
problem. A better approach is to create a function and run it by
PyRunner as in the 'Gravity deposition' example from the tutorial [2].

When it comes to Hertz-Mindlin model theory, the "Contact mechanics" of
Jonson is excellent. An interesting discussion with the basic equations
related to contact stiffness can be found in this topic[4]. More
features are described in documentation [5-6], and in case of doubts,
you can look into the source code.

How long does it take for your simulation to reach the void ratio
condition? I couldn't wait that long, but I have a guess. I think that
after you reach desired void ratio, yous should stop walls and run
simulation so the energy could dissipate through contact sliding. If
there is no specific reason for setting damping = 0, I would increase it
to 0.1 or 0.2 to increase the speed of energy dissipation.

Cheers,
Karol

[1] https://www.yade-dem.org/wiki/Howtoask
[2] https://yade-dem.org/doc/tutorial-examples.html?highlight=examples#gravity-deposition
[3] Johnson, K. L. (1987). Contact mechanics. Cambridge university press.
[4] https://answers.launchpad.net/yade/+question/668072
[5] https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.wrapper.html?highlight=ip2_frictmat_frictmat_mindlinphys#yade.wrapper.Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_MindlinPhys
[6] https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.wrapper.html?highlight=mindlin#yade.wrapper.Law2_ScGeom_MindlinPhys_Mindlin