Re: [Question #703081]: Incorrect porosity after predicate filtering

Bettina Suhr proposed the following answer:
Hi Lukas,

When I worked with filterSpherePack function, I made some observations,
which might be helpful.

> Since in [1] the particle cloud was compressed isotropically, I
assumed that the porosity is equally distributed over the entire volume

I would expect that the packing’s porosity is lowest in the center of
the packing. At the boundaries there will be empty spaces, which
increase the porosity close to the packing’s boundary.

> and the cropped part accordingly also has the same porosity as the
entire sphere packing volume.

When you crop the packing, spheres which are partially inside and
outside of the predicate will be deleted. This will cause an increase in
empty space and thus increase porosity. How much porosity will increase
due to this effect, will depend on your packing (sphere sizes) and
predicate.

> How do I manage to get the same porosity in my predicate as it is in
the old volume (imported pack)?

Good question. One option would be to add a facet cylinder and to grow
particles until you meet the target porosity.

Hope it helps. Regards,
Bettina