Re: [Question #703081]: Incorrect porosity after predicate filtering

Lukas Wasner is still having a problem:
Hey Bettina and Jan,

>Can you just share the resulting .txt file?

here is the saved .txt Sphere Pack:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13l0QlEVK_3OOR0oGTQh6O5CiE9DXSiy8/view?usp=sharing

> please provide specific values

target porosity is .385
box predicate porosity without volume argument in porosity function is .5672
box predicate porosity with volume argument in porosity function is .5689

cylinder predicate porosity without  volume argument in porosity function is .6647
cylinder predicate porosity with volume argument in porosity function is .5821

> One option would be to add a facet cylinder and to grow particles
until you meet the target porosity.

for understanding:
the filtering process is skipped as the porosity of my particle cloud is performed by enlarging the spheres in the same cylinder vessel in which the oedometer simulation is subsequently performed?

So far, I wanted to achieve the setting of the correct porosity by
"external" compaction, because I can not estimate how much a different
particle size has influence on the material calibration by oedometer and
direct shear test. In addition, settlement should be calculated in the
future.

> Otherwise follow Bettina's answer, the boundary effects (both for the
cube and the filtered cylinder case) were my first guesses.

It is probably not very helpful to compress the particle cloud with
PeriTriaxController to the desired pore number, because mainly the
deletion of overlapping spheres in the edge region of the predicate are
the cause for the too high porosity?

Can oedometer and direct shear tests be described and modelled/simulated
with periodic boundary conditions and if so, would this be a solution
for the boundary effect problem when it comes to having the right
porosity?

Best regards,
Lukas