Re: Progress on mute stuff

Hi Gary,

У сре, 18. 05 2011. у 17:48 -0400, Gary Poster пише:

> I'm cc'ing everyone else so they can see where we are.  Everyone else,
> if you have some spare cycles to help out, check in with Danilo or me
> to see if we can give you a branch to do.
>
> I figured out what was going on with the mute UI, and did a spike to
> get it to work experimentally.  It turns out there were a number of
> changes that needed to be made.
>
> The branch is lp:~gary/launchpad/bug-772763-remove-unmute-dialog

I looked at your branch a bit.  I find it weird that you modify unmute()
call to return the previous direct subscription considering that one is
already available in the page JS in my tests (eg. with fresh db-devel,
try subscribing at a level different than default, muting that
subscription, refreshing the page [to confirm the data is available from
the get-go], then pop up the 'subscribe' dialog and notice how the
'unmute and update my subscription' shows the correct bug notification
level).

IOW, server-side code already loads the sufficient information into the
page.  Not saying it's pretty, but just saying it's there already. :)

> We have a mostly working spike (I was clicking around on
> ttps://bugs.launchpad.dev/firefox/+bug/1, fwiw).  I think we now need
> to redo it with tests, dividing it up into smaller branches.

Ideally, we'd move all the mute stuff into a separate module (at least
imho).  Eg. lp/bugs/javascript/bug_muting.js.

All of the Subscription class use for bug muting seems very much
unnecessary imho, but I didn't dare change it previously.

Your branch also changed handle_advanced_subscription_layer which I
didn't expect you to touch (i.e. since you wouldn't be popping up a
dialog, you wouldn't need to change it).  I think that brings up one big
issue with the bugtask_index_portlets.js as it is: one always wants to
go and clean it up some more :)

> In particular, there are some server changes that need to be made.  I
> think they can be tested simply.  These could be one or more server
> branches.  I wonder if the queries (in particular the also notified
> code) need to be made more performant.  Then again, they might need to
> be rethought more deeply for bug 772754.

> Then we need a separate JS branch.  I'll probably try to do a very
> basic, minimal JS test, since we are probably going to trash so much of
> this JS code for bug 772754.
>
> If you get done with your other task and want to take some of this
> tomorrow morning, feel free.  Maybe a first step would be to get my
> branch running and see if you agree with some of the UI decisions I
> made--or at least don't strongly disagree, since we are on a
> timetable.  I'll jump in when I get going, though tomorrow is my call
> day, so my availability will be somewhat limited.

I am trying to make sure that my in-progress branch and your in-progress
branch make sense.  I'll probably merge them together because of all the
refactorings you did.

Talk to you later,
Danilo