Re: Let's ride the anti-tomboy wave!

Roberto Suarez Soto wrote:
El día Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:52:49 +0200, Jaap Karssenberg
<jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> escribía:

I think this is a good one. Anyone feel like designing a wizard (or "assistant" in gtk jargon) for first time users ? It should just explain what a notebook is and ask for the location to store notes and other properties with some meaningful defaults or select an existing notebook.

	Why not use the Almighty Default? :-)

	Just create a default notebook (called "Notebook") and place it
somewhere reasonable. You can warn users afterwards that you have already
created a notebook such and such, but the main point is that they'll be able
to start using Zim without answering "complex" questions. Most users won't
care if their notebook is in "~/.zim", "~/.notebooks", or whatever. Just do
it and let them start to play ASAP

As discussed before I do not want to use a hidden directory by default. When we use a normal directory as default this might conflict with an existing directory of that name, so it becomes complex to define the right behavior. I like an application to leave me in control where my data goes.

A wizard does not need to be complex. Maybe it should just say "Zim needs a folder to store your notes. Which folder do you want to use as your notebook ?" with a file selector and hide all the properties.