Re: Let's ride the anti-tomboy wave!

Dotan Cohen escribió:
>> * right click on a folder and "send to email recipient". Both thunar and
>> nautilus compress the folder and send it by email. The receiver opens
>> the attachment with the default application for compressed files, drags
>> and drops onto his zim notes folder and voila, my notes have been merged
>> with hers. That's a power trick for the average Joe.
>>

> It would be valid if Zim notebooks were single files, that would open
> in Zim when clicked on.

But then you couldn't select a folder, you would have to send the whole
notebook. I share my computer tricks with some pals, my work with others.
>> * Go to the Documents folder, select all pictures, use nautilus-script
>> to reduce the resolution of all of them
>>

> This has nothing to do with Zim.

This has to do with the fact that zim files are plain files, not
"notebooks" in a special zim format with embedded images.
>> * Go to a folder, select all notes, open with geany, do global replace
>> of a word in all the notes
>>

> This has nothing to do with Zim.

This has to do with the fact that zim files are plain files, not
"notebooks" in a special zim format with text scattered around the document.

Sure, the four tricks we came up with can be done in a hidden folder,
but you asked "why would the user want to see this data?", and these are
examples.

The only matter here is what hidden folders are for. I'll save you some
time: it's not in the gnome HIG:

http://developer.*gnome*.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/hig-2.0.pdf

Now Jaap thinks they should be for configuration, not data. This is a
general principle that is not intrinsically better than the contrary, it
has only the meaning we give to it. But people takes decisions based on
this principles, like hiding the folders, which makes it more difficult
to my fellow joe to find the notebook folder I asked him for.

We need to follow guidelines if thousands of people develop interacting
software independently. And placing data in the configuration folders is
still the exception, not the rule.

Regards