Re: Sending data to a running zim instance

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin
<cben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 22:48, Jaap Karssenberg
> <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> However my offer still stands, that is if someone wants to write the
>> firefox part I will add the necessary dbus interface for interacting
>> with zim.
>>
> Dbus?  Wouldn't HTTP be the natural way to provide a service to a
> browser (and not only)?
> (Ideally, Zim could serve a working wiki site to browsers, but here we
> don't need any UI,
> just a thin REST interface to the text format of pages.)

Not necessarily. REST would be the logical choice for remote access.
But for local access I think DBus is more suitable.

Main disadvantage of using REST is that we have to do effort to
authenticate the user and not allow other users on the same host
unlimited access. With DBus we run as the same local user by default.

As soon as we have methods implemented to handle conflicting versions
I will look into adding remote access using a REST interface. (We do
have an open bounty on conflict handling, but nobody working on it
yet.)