Re: Two critical issues for me in Zim

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:19:34 +0200
Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think we need further discussion how and when to allow wiki syntax
> and when to assume verbatim text. I really want to keep the feature
> that you can write wiki syntax directly into zim without the need for
> all the gui elements to do formatting.

I concur. Otherwise it would be called "rich text editor" rather than "wiki".

> Since your case seems to be especially about pasting code snippets,
> one solution could be to paste blocks of text as verbatim paragraphs.
> E.g. have a "paste as verbatim" menu item, and add an option to paste
> as verbatim by default.
> However such options may be unintelligible to less technical users,
> but not sure about that.

I believe, that's perfectly OK. If you want to be really fussy, you could make a dialogue pop up the first time a user interacts with the clipboard to let him pick his mode of choice (verbatim or formatted).

> Ideally I would like a proposal that results in doing the right thing
> in all cases without forcing the user to go through an elaborate set
> of customization options.

You could also scan the clipboard content for wiki formatting characters and pop up a dialogue, asking for normal or verbatim paste, in case some are found and otherwise default to normal paste.

I'm personally a big fan of the KISS principle. Especially when it comes to software. Therefore I would avoid magic and dialogues and have the current standard paste and an additional verbatim paste with a separate short-cut. If "less technical users" need that feature, they can be expected to look into the docs (or the menu) for 10 seconds and read about the "verbatim paste" IMHO.

Cheers,
Fabian