Re: new plugin: fileview

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Thorsten Hackbarth
<thorsten.hackbarth@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 25.05.2010, 12:21 +0200 schrieb Jaap Karssenberg:
>> I'm really interested in the plugin to preview / browse attachments.
>> This is something I wanted to create myself, but didn't find time for
>> yet. Might even want this as core functionality instead of as a
>> plugin.
>
> Sorry for the even later reply.
>
> Here is a very basic version of the plugin.
> Still a lot to do, but works for me. I use it to browse collections of
> pdf files (technical documentation, data sheets, etc).

Basic functionality looks quite good although there are a lot of rough
edges that will need polishing before including it in trunk. Still I
think this is very useful for various users. I suggest putting it in
the wiki at http://zim-wiki.org/wiki and use a page there to track
improvements. Alternatively you could check in a bazaar tree for this
plugin in launchpad.

Some suggestions:
* Use gtk.pixbuf to generate thumbnails instead of imagemagick
* Follow the freedesktop.org spec for storing thumbnails
* Use the open_file method in zim to allow opening files on double click
* Maybe use a small pane for image preview instead of the tooltip ?

> For more flexibility I suggest changing the zim layout to something like
> this:
> +-----------------------------+
> |menu                         |
> +-----+----------------+------+
> |     |  top pane      |      |
> |     |                |      |
> | i   | wiki editor    |  i   |
> | a   |tabs|           |  a   |
> | r   | bottom pane    |  r   |

I'll keep this in mind when refactoring the interface.