Re: Suggestion: Section numbering + Table of content

2011/4/25 François Boulogne <boulogne.f@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hello,
>
> I think about it since a while. From my user point of view, it would be
> useful (for the sake of notes' clarity) to have numbers before sections,
> subsections... like
> 1 My first part
> foo
> 1.1 paragraph
> bar
> 1.2 Another Paragraph
> foobar
> 2 Second part
> foobar
>
> Moreover, a table of content of the page could be generated and added on
> the top:
>
> 1 My first part
> 1.1 paragraph
> 1.2 Another Paragraph
> 2 Second part
>
> It would be wonderful if this is clickable and if it redirect to the
> good section (like wikipedia)
>
> However, I'm not sure that (at least), the first suggestion is easy to
> implement. Do you think this is a receivable idea I can add in the bug
> tracker?

There is already an open but report for the second part as well as a proof
of concept for a plugin adding a ToC widget.

As for the first part, indeed it will require some code to do this, mostly
to get the re-numbering correct when a heading is added or removed. Not
something I will work on immediately, but maybe someone else wants to take
it.

-- Jaap