Zim for Windows packaging help?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> In short: not this month, maybe next month.
>
> I'm inclined to leave things as they are on the Zim for Windows web page,
>> even if it's going to be a while. 0.50 is quite stable and useful in
>> Windows, and I can include some clearer pointers for those that want to
>> build it from trunk.
>>

> Afraid it is idle hope that canonical will add automated windows builds to
> their build farm :(

I'd be happy if we could just improve it to the point where I could run
automated builds anywhere.

I'm not happy with the way the build works right now. I cobbled it together
using my basic understanding of Windows packaging and lesser understanding
of the Python setup process and GTK. Can anyone provide any assistance?

The biggest issue I see is that in order to just get the job done and make
it reliable, I had to include all of GTK in Zim's executable folder. Is
there a "right" way to install GTK in Windows... in a common location iff it
is not found? Can an application installer fetch the GTK tarball from the
network so as not to include it in the original download?

Can I / should I be using Python's installer infrastructure instead of my
existing NSIS script for Zim?

Brendan Kidwell

Follow ups