Re: Zim for Windows packaging help?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Brendan Kidwell <snarf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd be happy if we could just improve it to the point where I could run
> automated builds anywhere.
>
> I'm not happy with the way the build works right now. I cobbled it together
> using my basic understanding of Windows packaging and lesser understanding
> of the Python setup process and GTK. Can anyone provide any assistance?
>
> The biggest issue I see is that in order to just get the job done and make
> it reliable, I had to include all of GTK in Zim's executable folder. Is
> there a "right" way to install GTK in Windows... in a common location iff it
> is not found? Can an application installer fetch the GTK tarball from the
> network so as not to include it in the original download?

Afraid not. Looking at other open source apps that have windows installers I
see all of them installing their own copy of the gtk libraries. Not ideal,
but only robust way to get things working on windows t this moment I'm
afraid.

We could of course exclude gtk and refer to the pygtk all-in-one installer.
That case the user has to run two installers to get zim working, which is
not so bad. In that case the zim installer should be able to find the pygtk
install, or prompt the user for the location.

Can I / should I be using Python's installer infrastructure instead of my
> existing NSIS script for Zim?

Afraid I can't answer that. Haven't seen much of a standard infrastructure
for windows installers beyond the py2exe compiler.

-- Jaap