Re: go with the dominant syntaxes: label/tags and tables

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> **
>
> I'm writing a Python script that expires tasks (with an '[x]') out to my
> HTML page of done stuff. My done stuff page has been syndicated in the past,
> and I've considered emitting it as a twitter stream. In which case I'll
> likely convert '@' labels to '#' hashtags. Any chance of following the
> twitter conventions within zim itself? (I suspect zim actually preceded
> twitter on this front.)

If you want to plug into zim you could have a look at the "print to browser"
plugin, which adds a button to the tasklist dialog for html export. If you
want to make it a background script, try re-using the code of the tasklist
plugin for accessing the index.

No zim's "@" syntax does not predate the twitter convention. But you will
find there are older systems using "@" for tags as well. Main reason I
choose this syntax is that in HTML "#" is used for anchors, which is a
feature we still want to add to zim.

> Also, I noted some discussion of tables. I hope one day zim will adopt a
> common markup syntax (ideally pandoc markdown) but until then I think it
> makes sense to still go with a dominant syntax.
>

> fyi: The markdown community is trying to converge across its various
> extension syntaxes and implementations.
>
> http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/

Actually work is ongoing to make zim support multiple syntaxes. No need to
have one-size-fits all in this respect. See previous discussion on this
list, as well as various syntax related feature requests in the bug tracker.