Re: Cleanup Attachments commented out?

I have performed and documented several tests and only found one issue:
when there is an indent/tab preceding the attached link/image then the
Cleanup will see the attachment as orphaned even though it is not.  Stefan
has pointed out that there may be additional issues related to plug-in
such as Equation; I did not perform and specific plug-in testing.

My test env: Windows XP 64-bit, Python 2.6.6 32-bit, Zim 0.54 running from
source (active plug-in: Spell Checker).

Below are the detailed tests I performed (1c, 2c, 3c FAILED).
Test 1a (inserted attachments):
Select Tools > Attach File and attach a file (note: do not uses a .txt
file because it will be imported as a new page)
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: inserted attachment should not be in list

Test 1b (prerequisite. Test 1a):
Delete a link for an attached file (there should be no other links to this
file)
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: inserted attachment should be in the list

Test 1c (prerequisite. Test 1a):
Indent the line with the link to the attachment.
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
FAIL: inserted attachment should not be in list

Test 1d (prerequisite. Test 1a):
Add text before and after the link to the attachment.
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: inserted attachment should not be in list

Test 2a (inserted images):
Select Insert > Image...
Check Attach image first option and insert an image
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: inserted image should not be in list

Test 2b (prerequisite. Test 2a):
Delete an inserted image
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: inserted image should be in the list

Test 2c (prerequisite. Test 2a):
Indent the line with the image.
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
FAIL: inserted image should not be in list

Test 2d (prerequisite. Test 2a):
Add text before and after the inserted image.
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: inserted image should not be in list

Test 3a (pasted images):
Copy an image to the clipboard and paste the image into Zim
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: pasted image should not be in list

Test 3b (prerequisite. Test 3a):
Delete a pasted image
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: pasted image should be in the list

Test 3c (prerequisite. Test 3a):
Indent the line with the image.
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
FAIL: pasted image should not be in list

Test 3d (prerequisite. Test 3a):
Add text before and after the pasted image.
Select Tools > Cleanup Attachments
PASS: pasted image should not be in list

jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx
12/22/2011 01:58 AM

nathan.king@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
zim-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [Zim-wiki] Cleanup Attachments commented out?

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM, N8 <nathan.king@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I seen a very useful feature in the Zim manual called  "Cleanup
> Attachments", http://zim-wiki.org/manual/Help/Menu_Items.html, but it
> did not appear in the menu.  While poking around for some other stuff I
> came across what looked like the code for performing the Cleanup
> Attachments feature this encouraged me to poked around a bit more and I
> noticed that menubar.xml has "<menuitem action='show_clean_notebook'/>"
> commented out.  I un-commented this and have done a couple simple tests
> on the feature and find it to be working well and to be very useful.
>
> Is there a specific reason the Cleanup Attachments feature is commented
> out?  Are there some known issues?

Main reason is lack of testing at the time and ongoing discussion how
/ where to put this feature. Afraid it simply wasn't high enough on my
priority list to test it thoroughly enough to put it in so I commented
it out before release. But should have come back to that, so basically
me dropping the ball on that one.

Since this happened we now also have a function to trash stuff instead
of deleting permanently, which makes it a bit less critical. So if you
and/or others can confirm it works correctly and we change it to use
the trash, I'm fine with putting it in in the next feature release.

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.