Re: CLI?

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM, John Geoffrey <gmkeros@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was thinking about a ncurses interface. But the general idea was that I
> would be able to write, open, and edit zim pages in the cli, instead of
> having to import them manually after writing.

How do you see the use case? Would this ncurses interface be the only
interface you use, or do you use it to edit pages while you still use
the Gtk interface to browse the data etc. ?

In the 2nd case I would suggest looking into an extension for your
editor of choice (vim / emacs / ...) to do a bit of syntax
highlighting of zim's wiki syntax and maybe show a list of pages on
the side. Since you use the gtk version for other stuff, you can keep
it simple.

In the 1st case you would re-create most of the gtk interface
functionality, which will be a *lot* of work. You can use the zim
libraries for the backend, but you need to do an interface from
scratch.

(If you opt for going with the simple editor extension AND never use
the Gtk interface anymore, probably zim is not for you. In that case
there are existing extensions for vim & emacs that do a similar
thing.)