Re: Still getting "file has changed on disk"

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:54 AM, Adam Porter <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jaap,
>
> I thought this bug was fixed a long time ago, but maybe I
> misunderstood the fix.  I'm using 0.59 and syncing with Dropbox
> between a few computers.  The problem is this:
>
> 1.  Zim is already running on both systems.
> 2.  I change a page on one system.
> 3.  I wait for it to sync to the other system.
> 4.  I open the Zim window and open the page I just modified on the other system.
> 5.  It seems that if I had already had that page opened in Zim
> earlier, it loads it directly from RAM without checking the copy on
> disk.
> 6.  I start editing the page.
> 7.  Zim tries to save the changes, and then discovers that the copy on
> disk was changed by Dropbox, so it pops up the dialog.
>
> Shouldn't Zim check the file on disk when I change to that page, and
> read the file from disk if it's changed?  Why isn't it noticing the
> change until it tries to save new edits?

This is an open issue, it is part of this bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/792058

Zim does load a page from disk when you open it in most cases.
However, sometimes there is indeed a cached version that shows up, if
the page object is still used by some other component. To fix this in
a robust way I need to finish refactoring the code base. (Finished
refactoring the parsers, now in the middle of rewriting the editor
widget, page objects are next..)

A work around is to press <Ctrl>R whenever you suspect a page may have
changed and it will reload from disk.