Some issues around sync'd Notebooks

I've been using Zim on a large complex notebook synched between Windows 7 and Linux by Dropbox for a couple of months and NO PROBLEMS.

ISSUE 1 - Synch using SpiderOak v5.0
I'd much prefer to synch using SpiderOak than Dropbox so when they updated to v5.0 and claimed to have fixed some of the bugs that were causing problems I immediately tried the new SpiderOak. I quickly got some errors when renaming a page that was referenced by other pages.

Some of the links don't get updated, and I suspect this is a Zim issue. At least, Zim not saying anything about might be an oversight/bug in Zim. At least if my guess aobut what happens is corrent. I suspect that during a page rename, when updating several links in a page, Zim does several read/edit/write/read/edit/write... operations in succession. If so, SpiderOak may spot the change, lock the file while uploading it, and so the Zim-write fails. Zim reloads, loses the edit, does the next edit/write etc.

Note that I don't get this issue with Dropbox, but I wonder if that is just because Dropbox is a bit lazier before acting on a change, or does it in a way that doesn't block Zim.

ISSUE 2 - Index Confusion?
To test the above I made a complete copy of the notebook for SpiderOak to synch across the two machines and left the original untouched. Once I realised SpiderOak wasn't doing the job, I reverted Zim on both Linux and Windows to open the original (untouched) notebook by default. When loading on Windows the index pane was showing some of the errors that had occured on the copy (i.e. orphan subpages). Re-generating the index cleared these, so the issue appears to be that somehow Zim used the index from the SpiderOak copy when opening the clean, untouched notebook (in an entirely different location).

This seems very odd! How would Zim use the index from one notebook (in a different folder) for another notebook?

Both notebooks have "Share" checked.

I had not opened the original notebook at all during this process, so it seems that without question that Zim used index information that did not apply to it when I re-opened it. How can that be? The root notebook file/folder was the same, but it was located in a different folder. Perhaps Zim assumes the same root file/folder name means it is the same notebook? If so I wonder if this is wise.

Mark

Follow ups