Re: Inserting standard text into a page

Thanks for these ideas but I was thinking of something more integrated with Zim, the main reason being I want to be able to create the expanded text within Zim with all it's formatting, inclusion of images, etc..

I don't know whether this is practical, but I suggest the following :

The abbreviations and text should be in a special Zim Notebook (in a similar way to Help).

Each abbreviation is the key to a page in this special Notebook. The text to be added is the content of the page.

The expansion of an abbreviation is invoked by a hotkey combination or clicking an icon or application menu entry (probably under Edit). A menu of abbreviations is opened.

The user starts to type the abbreviation and the first matched menu item is highlighted. The user can also scroll the menu and select an abbreviation with the mouse or arrow keys.

The expanded text matching the abbreviation is inserted into the text by pressing RETURN or double clicking the menu entry. The inclusion of the text can be reversed in the standard way using "Undo" or ctrl-Z.

There is a button on the each menu entry which when clicked allows the user to edit the abbreviation by opening the appropriate page in the special Zim Notebook.

The special Zim Notebook can be opened by an application menu entry (probably under Edit) thus allows the creation of new abbreviations, editing and deleting of existing ones.

Bill