Re: Migration to github

This is sort of a non-voting comment: I have over 10 years of experience
as a professional software developer. Over the years I've used
Subversion, Bazaar, Mercurial, Git, and Fossil.

Bazaar was my first DVCS (probably with the Zim project), but after
learning Mercurial and Git later on and spending little time with Bazaar
for many years, I find myself confused every time I have to deal with
it. My experience for all tools is mostly based on the free-software
GUIs available, including Bazaar Explorer and TortoiseHg, although I do
feel particularly comfortable using the CLI only for Git. I can't give
you a point by point comparison, but Bazaar just "feels" weird at this
point, and honestly it might be an impediment to me making anything more
than casual patch contributions to any other Bazaar-based project.

A major reason I barely touched Bazaar for years is that Launchpad --
its flagship hosting service -- was unreasonably slow compared to any
alternative available at the time; transactions would take a long time
to execute synchronously, and (in a separate process/thread) sometimes
new pushes would take 10 minutes to appear in the web interface.
Launchpad is vastly improved today, but it may have discouraged other
users for a long time as Mercurial and especially Git were gaining
mind-share.

In the case of Zim, I'm already committed as the Windows installer
maintainer, and I'll deal with Bazaar when I have to, but that's my
experience: Bazaar itself may deter me from joining another
Bazaar-hosted project I might find myself interested in.

(Side note: Fossil is a very interesting project in that its executable
is a single tiny monolithic binary on all supported platforms, with a
built-in web server, and it treats wiki pages and issues as versioned
assets. Sadly, its author refuses to build in support for rename
detection, and that's a deal-breaker.)

Brendan Kidwell