Re: Is there a way of changing the tag symbol?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Güven, Ugur Murat <
murat.gueven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >Colin:[… ]Ugur Murat wants it and has done coding in related areas so
> I've been hoping they might do it someday. […]
>
> I was thinking of having the @ sign for general tags, and the # sign for
> people tags, as I’m using tags heavily, also
> for tasks to assign to people.
>
> What I could imagine is to have the tags symbol to be a setting in
> preferences, but changing the tag symbol is not that
> easy, as far as I can see.

This is a bad idea design wise. The wiki syntax parsing should not depend
on preferences. Data format should be stable.

>Paul:Each time I paste into Zim a string containing @, it handles that
> string as a tag.
>
> Currently I can see only a workaround, replacing the @ sign by anything
> else, when you copy paste your text.

Replacing is indeed a work around. Real solution would be to handle the
copy-paste such that you get the wanted result. E.g. use the "@", but
escape it such that it is not formatted as tag, or a "paste-as-verbatim"
function.

But first need to understand the way Paul is using these strings to judge
best direction.