Re: Startup- and shutdown-code

So to make it concrete, if I understand correctly:
1/ at startup: set environment parameters for locale settings
2/ at shutdown: trigger backup copy commands

For 1/ I would suggest either setting them permanently in your environment
(are you on linux, windows, ... ?) so you don't have to do it per
application. If for some reason you need to do it on run time, you should
do it with a bash or bat file and set the environment before starting zim.
Reason is that once locale is initialized it is hard to change it on
runtime.

For 2/ I would suggest you define a "custom tool", that way you can have a
back up button in the toolbar and click it before closing down.  If you
really want it on shutdown, you would write a small plugin that connects to
the exit signal of the application. See e.g. the versioncontrol plugins for
an example, they do the same.

Hope this helps,

Jaap