Re: Re-ordering the index / custom sorting

 my 2ct..

     On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:48 AM, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Dear all,

Next task on my list is refactoring the code of the index. Main reason is that I see a lot of bug reports relating to indexing, so hope a cleanup of the code will help to make things better.

However, while at it, I do see an opportunity to implement functions to allow re-ordering the index. So it would not have to be alphabetically, but can have a custom ordering.

My question to you is: how should the user-interface work when you can re-order the index. For example:

1/ Do you only want custom ordering, or switch between custom and alphabetical sorting ?
Definately both

2/ If so, where do you click to switch between custom ordering and alphabetic ordering ? And how this switch affect sub-sections ?
Perhaps have alphabetic ordering by default, but let the user change order of folders using drag-drop. As soon as the user does this once, Zim should remember that ordering is custom. To undo this, the context menu could be use (right click on the folder where you want to change order - this should imho not include sub-folders, at least, not by default). Only problem is how to deal with top level if you have more than one folder.

3/ When index has custom ordering, where do new pages show up - at the end, in the front, other position ?
By default at end, but perhaps an option to set the position in the menu to create the page.

4/ Should custom sorting depend on list of links in parent page ? (Either by default or as a plugin)

That would be a nice touch.. not as default but as a plugin

5/ ... what did I not think of yet ... ?
So let me know your input - bonus points for screenshots and mockups :)