Re-ordering the index / custom sorting

Dear all,

Next task on my list is refactoring the code of the index. Main reason is
that I see a lot of bug reports relating to indexing, so hope a cleanup of
the code will help to make things better.

However, while at it, I do see an opportunity to implement functions to
allow re-ordering the index. So it would not have to be alphabetically, but
can have a custom ordering.

My question to you is: how should the user-interface work when you can
re-order the index. For example:

1/ Do you only want custom ordering, or switch between custom and
alphabetical sorting ?
2/ If so, where do you click to switch between custom ordering and
alphabetic ordering ? And how this switch affect sub-sections ?
3/ When index has custom ordering, where do new pages show up - at the end,
in the front, other position ?
4/ Should custom sorting depend on list of links in parent page ? (Either
by default or as a plugin)
5/ ... what did I not think of yet ... ?

So let me know your input - bonus points for screenshots and mockups :)