Re: Zim building problems

 -- Regarding python27.dll, a comment on stackoverflow (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25053761/location-of-python27-dll-from-python-itself) says On 64-bit Windows the 32-bit python27.dll is really in C:\Windows\sysWOW64. But if you try opening the C:\Windows\system32\python27.dll in a 32-bit process, it'll open just fine. If I'm not mistaken, WOW stands for Woodoo Of Windows. ;-)
-- Maybe a free tool like Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) would be useful. Might need to use the application profiling feature. There's also a potentially useful FAQ.
-- I think you said a slightly earlier version of zim runs ok. Can you get a list of DLLs a program used, sorted by time of first access? If so, perhaps would be useful to compare the lists from the old and new versions of zim. The first significant difference might well be the DLL the new version isn't finding.