Re: Interaction between Journal and Page Index plugins

No, I don't plan to go back to the old layout. For various reasons I want
to separate these plugins in their own widgets.

What is not optimal now is that when you open a journal page, both indexes
go select the page and thus unfold the hierarchy for the journal. One
optimization I would like to make is that when opening a page it is
selected in either the journal pane or the index pane, but not both. That
way the journal hierarchy in the index remains folded.

Hiding the journal hierarchy completely is a no go. One reason is that is
would be ugly to implement. The more important reason is that I believe the
index should show the whole notebook, including special pages, because
hidden content can be confusing.