Zim Abbreviations.List

I'm seeking info about Zim's "abbreviations.list" functionality, which
seems to have disappeared from recent versions. Some time ago I used
abbreviations often: creating an "abbreviations.list" file in the Zim
config directory. This enabled using shortcut keys to display longer,
frequently used phrases or terms. My Zim usage changed and I stopped
using the abbreviations function, but now I'm needing to use it again.
I'm running the 0.72 version and abbreviations seem to not work now. I
may be forgetting some step in the procedure, or the functionality has
been abandoned. I would appreciate tips from anyone knowing how to
restore "abbreviations.list" functionality. Thanks for any help!

Follow ups