Re: [Ayatana] Indicators for showing progress

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 13:47, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On a slightly related note, check out Solution #5 from this brainstorm
> idea: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24130/
>
> I think that sort of set up would open up a load of possibilities for
> tighter integration of notifications of file transfers/downloads/syncs
> etc.

It's also good to see what Windows does[1] in this area. Basically
they extended the window list to show progress in a window list item.
I think Microsoft is trying to reduce the need for third party tray
icons by extending the normal window list with functionality such as
launching applications, providing a custom context menu, and the
mentioned progress indication. I have to say that it's very tidy: one
place for programs, and everything of that program happens at that
place.

I think Ubuntu/GNOME is going the other way. I think the general idea
is to eventually get rid of the window list (replacing it with GNOME
Shell's exposé-like functionality), and extend/standardize the tray to
start programs, indicate running programs, show progress,
notifications, and obviously provide custom menus.

[1] http://weblogs.asp.net/sergeyzwezdin/archive/2009/04/30/windows-7-programming-taskbar-part-1-progress-bar.aspx

--
Remco