Re: [Ayatana] Middle-click on indicators

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 06:42 +0200, Conscious User wrote:
> With respect to this point, I think you and Mark are both attacking a
> straw man. You are reacting like what is being proposed is to assign
> middle-click to random actions without any constraint, when what is
> *actually* being proposed:
>
> a) is restrained to actions available in the menu
> b) can be formally added to the specification
> c) is possibly even enforceable by libindicator
>
> This proposal tries to fill a genuine need that is a very constant
> complaint about indicators in forums and blogs, while keeping in
> mind the overall goal of consistency. I think it's a good balance.

I guess my concern is that we're talking about breaking the concept of
menus after it was previously decided at a UDS (by Mark, UX and DX
teams, and community) that indicators should behave like (and be
implemented based upon) menus.  I don't like the idea of adding in
special-case code paths into the menu code that will likely never be
used in any GTK+ applications.  As an upstream GTK+ developer I probably
would not want this code landing there, and then Ubuntu would be
carrying a potentially complex distro patch for the foreseeable future.
It could possibly be implemented entirely in libindicator by introducing
more introspection-like crack (would have to investigate further to be
sure), but that would certainly introduce further maintenance burdens in
the future as well.

And from a usability side, I feel like we should minimize differences
between menus in applications and menus in the panel rather than create
more.

/ Cody