Re: [Ayatana] Middle-click on indicators

> I guess my concern is that we're talking about breaking the concept of
> menus after it was previously decided at a UDS (by Mark, UX and DX
> teams, and community) that indicators should behave like (and be
> implemented based upon) menus.  I don't like the idea of adding in
> special-case code paths into the menu code that will likely never be
> used in any GTK+ applications.  As an upstream GTK+ developer I probably
> would not want this code landing there, and then Ubuntu would be
> carrying a potentially complex distro patch for the foreseeable future.
> It could possibly be implemented entirely in libindicator by introducing
> more introspection-like crack (would have to investigate further to be
> sure), but that would certainly introduce further maintenance burdens in
> the future as well.

> And from a usability side, I feel like we should minimize differences
> between menus in applications and menus in the panel rather than create
> more.

Fair enough. I don't think middle-clicking should be supported in
upstream Gtk and there is maintenance burden risk involved, but my
overall opinion is that indicators should be "enhanced" menus, in
the sense that the enhancements they offer are not part of Gtk menus
but at the same time are consistent among different indicators.
This is a balance between functionality and consistency.

Visually, this is more or less already the case. For example, the
Me Menu *is* a menu, but in my desktop it's the only one with
"enhancements" like a huge icon and a text field. :)