Re: [Ayatana] User feedback from the new WM control order

On 15 April 2010 12:54, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 15,April,2010 06:35 PM, Luke Benstead wrote:
> >> I don't think it will be an issue with GNOME Shell, as the top-left corner is a
> >> hot corner for triggering the overlay mode so you don't need to click the
> >> button, just flick your cursor to the top left corner. The button is just there
> >> for discoverability and to provide tablet users with something to poke, I think.
> >
> > My point is, when moving the mouse to close/min/max you could
> > inadvertently hit the hot corner, although I don't have Gnome shell
> > here to test how far that corner extends so it may be a non-issue.

Indeed, this is happening quite often to me when I am browsing and
trying to hit the back button or open the leftmost tab. Really
annoying when that happens.
They are going to usability test soon though:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/UsabilityTesting/PhaseI (see
Hypotheses > Task Switching > 3)

On 15 April 2010 12:54, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I believe the corner is only 1 pixel by 1 pixel, similar to Compiz's hot edges.
> Clicking the button is a separate issue though. If this poses a problem, I think
> it do not think it would be much better on the right side, since the me/log out
> menu is there.

Yes, it is only the one top left pixel. But that makes it no better;
Fitts’s Law works as well in reverse.