Re: [Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

On 22 April 2010 10:27, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> A tabbed system like Robin mentioned sounds very nice to me for two
> reasons: first, it's very familiar as tabbed browsers are nearly
> ubiquitous now. Second, am I the only one here annoyed at the fact that
> there is a *huge* waste of space in the middle of the top panel? This
> would be a very good and use of it.
>
> Brainstorming a little bit, I think a very nice way to visually show
> workspaces this way would be extending the wallpaper to the tabs.
> See the (ugly) mockup I'm attaching here, what you guys think?

Regarding tabbed interfaces and your mockup, I already run a quite
similar setup (see the attachment).

I do not use workspaces at all. Neither do I have a bottom panel. The
waste of space on the top panel has become the area for the »tabs« –
the window list applet. That way I can comfortably change between
full-screen applications – for me this serves the same purpose as
workspaces.

I also run maximus to eliminate the space-wasting titlebar.
Test-driving GNOME Shell, I am waiting for a (native) global menu. At
the moment, I am torn between the two approaches to use the space in
the titlebar: window list or menu. It may be best to use only icons
for the windows (like DockbarX) and have enough space for both menu
and title; also regarding the departure of the notification area.

I find workspaces to be very complicated (too much to be enabled by
default). But maybe it is just me; I do not use many applications on a
regular basis, apart from browser, file manager and terminal.
Nevertheless, I can comfortably work with the occasional 10 windows.

To sum it up: I think it would be best to have the tabs directly
represent the applications, not workspaces (also for fast
recognizability).