Re: [Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 13:15 +0200, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:

> I do not use workspaces at all. Neither do I have a bottom panel. The
> waste of space on the top panel has become the area for the »tabs« –
> the window list applet. That way I can comfortably change between
> full-screen applications – for me this serves the same purpose as
> workspaces.

If you use only one maximized window at a time, there would be only one
remaining reason for workspaces that I can think of, and that would be
shortcuts for switching between them.

Workspaces don't make much sense for switching between single windows,
they only shine when it's about switching between _sets_ of windows.

There are 2 ways to approach this regarding the underlying concept:
either you have several desktops with windows on them, or you have one
desktop and you show/hide groups of windows.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/