Re: [Ayatana] Farewell to the notification area

Hello Mark,

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 08:49 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> It's a good point. The workspaces experience has languished, and I'd
> like for us to climb in and improve it substantially. At the moment,
> we
> do a half-hearted job - we ship what's there but as you say, only
> configure two workspaces. I'd be inclined to say "ship without
> workspaces" so that we are at least definitive about the position for
> the moment.

We've got to be careful about removing things, if we want development
and ideas to flow around these concepts for future awesomeness, then
removing them will only increase the barrier between being a passive
user and becoming an active participent sharing ideas and code.

It's a little hard to participate in something when you don't know it
exists and there is plenty of examples of great plugins for various
apps, gnome, inkscape, etc that don't receive any attention at all until
they've gone upstream and become available to use by a wider audience.

Martin,