Re: [Ayatana] Farewell to the notification area

> If people don't figure out how to use something we designed, the answer
> is to improve the design, and not to mount a campaign to educate them :-)
>
> By which I mean that the pieces should feel more natural, and getting
> things done should be more natural, or we're not succeeding.

It is a noble goal and I support it 100%, but let's not forget that,
as good as the indicators are and as bad as the notification area is,
the notification area is what people are used to. So a little push
might be necessary to overcome the natural resistance to change.

Also, there is a limit to how natural something can be. I have
absolutely no idea how we could make obvious to a first time user
that the indicator-messages icon is supposed to change when you
receive a new message, for example.