Re: [Ayatana] Farewell to the notification area

On 22/04/10 21:26, Martin Owens wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 08:49 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>
>> It's a good point. The workspaces experience has languished, and I'd
>> like for us to climb in and improve it substantially. At the moment,
>> we
>> do a half-hearted job - we ship what's there but as you say, only
>> configure two workspaces. I'd be inclined to say "ship without
>> workspaces" so that we are at least definitive about the position for
>> the moment.
>>
> We've got to be careful about removing things, if we want development
> and ideas to flow around these concepts for future awesomeness, then
> removing them will only increase the barrier between being a passive
> user and becoming an active participent sharing ideas and code.
>
> It's a little hard to participate in something when you don't know it
> exists and there is plenty of examples of great plugins for various
> apps, gnome, inkscape, etc that don't receive any attention at all until
> they've gone upstream and become available to use by a wider audience.

Workspaces have existed in (basically) their current state for the
entire duration that I've been watching, which is a long time, and have
not attracted much in the way of innovation or excitement.

Taking them out might actually spur someone to action ;-)