Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jeremy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In response to this thread, I turned on single click mode and found it to be quite usable once it was explained how to do things. Even though it goes against what Mac, Windows, and most Linux distributions are doing, I think this single click file management thing could be a smart decision. It's sure to be a bit controversial like many Ubuntu design decisions are these days but I'd like to see this setting enabled for Alpha 1. Improved consistency, improved accessibility, and likely minor time savings once users adapt to the change.

OK. So I guess it's pointless to tell again my opinion on the subject.

Here's an idea:  suppose it is enabled in Alpha. How will the effect be measured? What will the metric be?

I've read all sorts of answers here and on OMG comments. I still think that this is a huge change, with a much larger aftershock than window controls on the left side. So how the "real users" impressions will be measured? After all, it is the "general users" audience that is most affected, right? The ones who we care for?

--
Alex Lourie