Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 17:52, Alex Lourie <djay.il@gmail.com> wrote:

OK. So I guess it's pointless to tell again my opinion on the subject.

Your concern is also mine, still, this thread is a creative approach at a new vision - let's not rattle against it too much (see Walt Disney Method) [1].

Here's an idea:  suppose it is enabled in Alpha. How will the effect be measured? What will the metric be?

I've read all sorts of answers here and on OMG comments. I still think that this is a huge change, with a much larger aftershock than window controls on the left side. So how the "real users" impressions will be measured? After all, it is the "general users" audience that is most affected, right? The ones who we care for?

This is no change, it is a concept of change. Before this gets adopted, you will see more talk both upstream and here, we can all surely imagine. I've seen dwell-click in Chromium already (back button), people with disabilities complaining about double-click being a serious and widespread accessibility issue and more..

This topic will not go away anymore, since web browsers consume more user time nowadays than ancient Midnight Commander-like Nautilus.
If we, on the other hand, start considering a new way to sort and access files, we can easily do away with Nautilus' special case of double click.

Menus are single click already, some only mouse-over, indicators are, window list buttons are, only nautilus isnt. think about it!

What other use cases outside double and triple clicking text does multi click have?

We won't shake this one off, not anytime soon, that's my opinion.
I love my good old double click, but my anxiety problem got much better since i don't have to use strong motoric skill to view the contents of a file that's smack in the middle of my desktop.

click.

[1] http://www.resources.scalingtheheights.com/disney_method.htm