Re: [Ayatana] Restart Required

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 00:40, Remco <remco47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 23:03, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  On 03/08/10 20:25, Matt Wheeler wrote:
>> In reality (as ScottK has already mentioned) only Firefox *needs* a
>> restart after an update, everything else will just continue to run the
>> slightly out of date version until you get around to restarting it.
>
> Boy, I wish we could tell Firefox to save state, restart, and restore
> everything exactly, that restart experience is really bad (the warning,
> the breakage if you don't do it, it's all poor, and if every app did
> that we'd be a mess!).

Instead of (or in addition to) making sure that the restart is
painless, wouldn't it be much better to get rid of the restart? Does
anyone know why Firefox breaks down so horribly after each minor
update? No other program does that.

because Firefox attempts to be an OS within the OS.
If it were only Gecko as a service and _javascript_ and stuff loaded on demand, things would be much more transparent in the network of modules which connect to form "Firefox".

My own naive fool's dream is to have webkit embedded into GNOME invisibly, used on demand and where applicable.. I think a HTML rendering engine so advanced would make a powerful team with desktop apps, perhaps a thousand times more efficient than trying to make a fully integrated DE out of Firefox via extensions and add-ons...
but that's just a naive fool's dream..